oztoppy Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #16 
that one on left I've just tried, with fresh batteries, has become u/s on most buttons anyway, only the mute, the 1-2-3-4etc number buttons, and maybe one or two others seem to even transmit..not sure if there is any way to re-sensitive the button contacts on them or something.. 
0
IanL-S

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 625
Reply with quote  #17 
The RCU on the right is a TP-304; the one on the left is TP-800. As they use different modes using the older one may well solve the problem you are having.

Ian
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #18 
so I'M in the market for a TP800 to try out, it  seems, unless there is a way to rejuvenate the button contact response on that one

is there any safe way to wash them ?

t/y
0
IanL-S

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 625
Reply with quote  #19 

You could also try a TP-850 which is functionally identical (it also can be programed to control TV).

Definitely keep water away from them. You would need something that evaporate quickly - before it can get into the mechanism.

Ian

0
AQUAR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 76
Reply with quote  #20 
Buttons have lost their conductivity due to loss of the carbon "dust" in them.
You need to apply some conductive material over the bottom of the buttons.
Conductive paint (Jaycar) or adhesive dots of aluminium foil works for me. 
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #21 
thanks for that, I'm going to try it to resurrect it..because I don't think it actually had anywhere near as much use as the other current one has..
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #22 
which remote are these and can they be applied to any other model apart from TF5000 ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/szkAAOSwaMxbtw-Q/s-l225.webp [s-l225] 
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #23 
So these adhesive foil bits or Jaycar carbon paint, where/how it is applied? to underneath of various buttons on rubber button pad ? (first time I ever pulled one of this style of remote apart) Topfield RC inside.jpg
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #24 
funny how they put the model # of the remote inside on that rubber button pad where it is normally invisible, isn't it?
0
AQUAR

Member
Registered:
Posts: 76
Reply with quote  #25 
The black "dots", on the underside of the buttons, are pushed onto the copper tracks below them when a button is depressed.

This provides a resistive bridge across the copper  tracks and so sends a signal to the controller that that button has been pressed.
When the resistance becomes too high you get no response.

Temporary fix (still working after a year on my effort!) is to glue aluminium foil dots onto these black dots.
Better option - buy some copper paint that is used to fix car window heater elements - Jaycar sell it as do various automotive shops.  
 
0
IanL-S

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 625
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2100
which remote are these and can they be applied to any other model apart from TF5000 ?

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/szkAAOSwaMxbtw-Q/s-l225.webp [s-l225] 




Looks like an RCU for one of the old SD Toppys. The listing by Firebird suggests that the RCU is Mode 4 model TP-006

Ian
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUAR

Better option - buy some copper paint that is used to fix car window heater elements - Jaycar sell it as do various automotive shops.  
 


so paint the copper paint for example, on the button back-dots?
0
Fred

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 116
Reply with quote  #28 
Yep,and use a specialist circuit board cleaner on the '├žopper' tracks to get all the gunk off.
0
2100

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #29 
Well, lacking copper paint to hand etc, I tried the adhesive foil option, as I happened to have an enormous roll of foil tape to hand, so began the painstaking job of cutting little bits off and sticking them in backs of button holes in rubber pad...the adhesive , as often happens in activities like modelling, sticks to fingers and almost everything else a lot better than it sticks to the target, but, nonetheless, function was restored to all buttons thus treated. Some misfired a bit, such as touching off multiple contact applications of that button instead of a single contact , but, sure enough, the signal mode from that other kind of RC does not interfere with the Kogan receptor..

So, anyway, as surplus 2100 units are still being sold on ebay new (not much more than half what I paid for mine originally, but no warranty of course) I bought one...half to get a spare unit, half to get one of those RCs in new condition in preference to my tape-reconditioned one. (after checking with vendor first that the new 2100s had the right desired RC-they do!)
So, with a new one of those other RCs...it has 75% solved the interference problem with the TV and vice versa..)
(I mean, the ebay sellers were demanding $49 just for a new RC that model, so I figured better off buying a whole new 2100, store the pvr itself,  and immediately commandeering its RC )

So, although still needing to be cautious with TV remote that it does not shut down a recording program in progress on the PVR as it has done a few times, it is substantially if not 100% solved..

thanks for tech advice.I see some of that conductive paint going I will make a fresh attempt to overhaul that other
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.